Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Word: Opportunity

This one is going to be a little blunt so have a seat or read it tomorrow if you're feeling fragile. 

For my age group of 51 to 60 years, the average survival time after being diagnosed with a GBM brain tumor is 12 months. For all age groups combined, 25 people out of 100 live 15 months; 4 in 100 live five or more years. These statistics are difficult, but necessary to embrace in order to stay on the informed side of reality and “number my days that I may have a heart of wisdom” (Psalm 90:12).

So while I was caring for my sister Judy in November, her final days of dealing with the pain of her cancer, I cried to God, “Why Judy? Why, God, would you allow this to happen?” But somehow God moved me from “cancer sucks” to seeing God forging an opportunity. This opportunity is two-fold; to watch God work through Judy’s cancer, and second, to acknowledge that God is at work in the lives of family and friends. Although she struggled with having no choice, Judy realized that cancer was God's way of calling her home, her time to go to heaven.

Odds are this cancer is also my two-fold opportunity; to watch God continue orchestrating in the lives of all the people I love and care about so dearly, and second, my opportunity to pass from life as we know it, and move into eternity. While Ken and I are spending our time together, we live each day to the fullest, enjoying the new pace, following the recommended therapies and treatments, and unfolding our story to share with you. I plan to make the most of every opportunity and not limit what God is doing.

13 comments:

  1. Thank you, Nancy, for your transparency and desire to be used by God. I pray that God will bring you peace in your journey and glory to Himself.
    Kat

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have peace that passes my own understanding and am watching God work in all of this. Thank you for praying.

      Delete
  2. I appreciate your statement of "not wanting to limit what God is doing." I recently came across a similar discussion of how we really do not want to put God in a box and limit what he can or cannot do. Our God is so much greater! ��
    Continuing to lift you up in prayer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many believers are unable to view cancer from your perspective and become bitter. God has given you the grace to see it from His point of view. Praying He will continue to strengthen you and your family. I continue to pray.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, ALL things work together for the good...(Romans 8:28) and I choose to trust in Him. Thank you, Kim, for praying.

      Delete
  4. Loving you helps me live God more. You are so valued!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes...there is great gain in numbering our days to grow a heart of wisdom. My journey with cancer 2010 also gave me that perspective. Riding in God's backpack gives us His Higher perspective. Keep embracing each day. Praying for you and Ken.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Eternal perspective... Thank you for praying.

    ReplyDelete
  7. He give us more grace when the burdens grow greater, he sends more strength when the labors increase . To added affliction he added his mercy, to multiply trials, he multiplied peace . His love has no limit, His grace has no measure, His power has no boundary known unto men. For out of His infinite riches in Jesus he giveth and giveth and give it again. Hymn from Hymns of the Christian Life. "He Giveth More Grace

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that hymn! Hymns are so rich in truth! ❤️

      Delete