Friday, December 11, 2020

Word: Honesty

Words are sacred and holy. Words are one of God's ways to gently prick our hearts and trickle light and healing into every corner of our hearts. Each day I choose one word to represent my intention for that day. Over the past year, this practice has brought amazing focus to my life. 

I have a need to push aside the curtain of denial and use honesty to face my reality, a little at a time.

As Ken grocery shops at Piggly Wiggly, I sit in the car and wait, too tired to join him. Ken left the car running to keep me warm. After five minutes, I turned the car off so I wouldn't waste gas. As I continue to wait, the car begins to get cold and the clock seems to slow. Here I sit, unable to do something as simple as restart the car, then wonder if I will ever drive again. That seems like a bitter thought, but I feel emotionless about it right now.

While I wait, I evaluate each person I see and compare my longevity to theirs. I watch all the busy people coming and going in their cars, enjoying things while striving to stay alive. This is as it should be; life is meant to be enjoyed. That older man, buying two cases of Coke, has lived longer than I have. That lady is about the same age as me, and that stern-looking woman is a little older. 

A little boy riding in a shopping cart delights in the flash of tail lights on the car. His young mother gets to enjoy all the coming years of being a mom, the years I cherish so much in my life. By her reaction to his little star-hand reaching out, I can tell she is on track for many happy days to come. I hope I get to see my daughter's children. She's going to be an amazing mother.

Then I see my dear friend dropping off a package at the UPS Store, probably for her son who is now at Fort Benning. His Turning Blue ceremony is this week, having completed the Advanced Infantry Training. He's dating a gem of a girl from high school, a girl I've adored for many years. I'm so happy for them. I wonder if I'll make it to his wedding some day. 

Though all this feels a little bleak and gray, my intention is to be honest today. Here's the bitter truth. As I watch, I peacefully accept that I've had 58 blessed years on God's green earth and I will not be growing old here. Yet, I feel so young and full of life, with no concern of what the mirror says. Besides, as everyone knows, I have many pranks yet to bless others with. That's the bitter truth, and to be honest, that's what is sweet.

9 comments:

  1. Wow you are amazing ... I am so glad I got to meet you if only for a few days. I am thinking of you often and sending healing thoughts and prayers your way💙🙏🏻 AnnG

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ann, thank you so much for leaving a comment with your name. The connection of the words to a name and face means a lot to me. Thank you. - Nancy

      Delete
  2. You and Judy are both teaching us, once again, of impermanence. To be with what is happening now and not disassociate. Pleasure and pain, confusion and wisdom, available in each moment of this thing called life. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The answer for impermanence: eternal perspective. "As for man, his days are like grass; he flourishes like a flower of the field; for the wind passes over it, and it is gone, and its place knows it no more. But the steadfast love of the Lord is from everlasting to everlasting on those who fear him" - Psalm 103:15-17a

      Delete
  3. Nancy you are full of wisdom. Thank you for your honest and stark thoughts. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nancy thank you for letting me know about this blog. What a blessing to share with us. Thank you. I really enjoyed our texting this morning and thank the holy spirit for reconnecting our paths. As you stated earlier we are very lucky to have met through cgbhs. Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  5. My dear Nancy and Ken -
    I posted a comment on FB, but this seems more personal. My heart sank to the floor when I saw you post this blog. There are times for me when I can't seem to say the right thing or come up with the right words without sounding cliche. So know that I am thinking of you both, sending love and positive, healing thoughts. I'd love to get your address if you have a chance to post it (or email it to me.) With love, your friend, Emily

    ReplyDelete