Thursday, December 10, 2020

Rapid Unscheduled Disassembly

Elon, I also had a "rapid unscheduled disassembly".

My 6:00 PM medications include a steroid to help reduce brain inflammation. Last night, the drug's side effects were probably my darkest storm cloud yet, but Ken held me through it all. 

After the emotional storm passed, I asked Ken to take me downstairs to work on the PT skills checklist with things like balancing, skipping, hopping, and jumping. He graciously got out of bed and spotted me, teaching me step-by-step in relearning these skills. I also did a long arm hang on the fitness machine. I can do it, and it feels super good.

Just picture this 58 year old broken body, wearing "dog tired" pajamas and a pink Carhartt knit hat I got from a mystery sender, being taught to jump again like a stiff, clumsy toddler. Driving myself, over and over, I did maybe 15 reps until I broke out in a sweat. The only redeeming visual might have been the pink Carhartt hat I have been wearing to bed every night, finding some comfort with it for my head.

Afterwards, Ken took me back upstairs, like this is the new normal we were destined for, then we head back to bed. I didn't have any more storm clouds in the night, but a 1:00 AM pillow evaluation, and some dark-of-night conversation together finally closed the day.

This one will probably linger in my thoughts for a while.

Recent Photos


Dec 10, 2020 - A short visit from our good friend Dr Hans Juttner

Names and photo used with permission

4 comments:

  1. I have no words except to echo Paul. “For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.”
    ‭‭Romans‬ ‭8:38-39‬ ‭NIV‬‬

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found myself wondering if Hans would be here to share this chapter with you, Nancy. It brought a smile to my face seeing this photo of you together!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love seeing you with Hans. In know he will have encouraging words for you!

    ReplyDelete