Friday, January 29, 2021

Short

With twenty of the 30 radiation days complete, I think it’s time for a short haircut since most of it has fallen out anyway. My pink, sensitive scalp looks and feels like a sunburn that requires frequent, gentle attention. 

I wonder if the loss of my hair - and short haircut - will make me feel like the last bit of normalcy in my life is fading away. With hair, people might not realize I have brain cancer. Without hair, there is pretty much no question about that, and no denying it.

On Monday, the day before my 58th birthday, we got home from radiation and decided to cut my hair. I sat in the bathroom as Ken began to cut some to about 2 inches. I looked in the mirror and we both cried. As Ken continued cutting, he kept kissing my head and telling me I look beautiful. 

Checking in the mirror a few more times, we decided to just get it over with. With scissors and clippers, Ken gently cut it all to about one inch, making it easier to apply aloe to my burned, itchy scalp. A few days later, we decided to cut it again, this time to about one-half inch. It's a little chilly, but it's much easier now to care for.



This morning, we again wrestle with the reality that we won't grow old together. The phrase "till death do us part" from our wedding vows has taken an unexpected turn, short of its romantic, far away fulfillment. The situation we are in demands we face our mortality. As we know, life is precious. Life is short. It is our desire to make the most of every opportunity, including this one.

I believe God uses words and images to gently prick our hearts to shine light and healing into all of the corners of our secret places. He loves us. He wants us to be free. He wants us to grow and experience abundant life, even if it is short!

“Be very careful, then, how you live—not as unwise but as wise, making the most of every opportunity...”  - Ephesians 5: 15-16a

 

Recent Photos


Jan 29, 2021 - Leanne and Deb have a belated birthday party for Nancy

Jan 26, 2021 - Sarah and Nancy go to the beach for a birthday snow storm sunrise

11 comments:

  1. Oh, Nancy, you beautiful woman! As I've been painting a chair with the theme Embrace Change, I've thought of you and prayed for you so often. As I painted caterpillars, I've thought of how they adapt to each instar or change, shedding a skin that is too small for what they will become. And then they stop eating and anchor themselves to something stronger than they are...and they shed everything they have known before and rest in what they are becoming. And then that day comes when they emerge as glorious butterflies, able to soar instead of crawl. And you will soar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those of us fortunate enough to know you, realized long ago what a beautiful spirit you have, Nancy. But now... just look at you! You are truly even more beautiful than ever. Thank you for sharing yourself - ALL of you- with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The beauty of your soul lies in your transparency to those who read your blog. Keep taking one step forward each day! We love you and pray for you both often.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, friend! God says His Word is a light unto our path, and we have rested in the truth that we only need to see forward as far as He illuminates, and walk in that moment. I have peace that He is with us in this!

      Delete
  4. You look so cute with short hair!

    Teresa Brannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Teed! Want to join me in the "Short Hair Club"? So far it is me and Janell! I don't think you would regret it. :)

      Delete
  5. My dear Nancy, you were beautiful with or without here! Your love for Jesus and your passion for life are amazing! I am forever grateful to call you friend!
    Love, Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my beautiful friend! We have only known each other a short time - I am thankful God had our paths cross!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Nancy. Its Ryan. First, you look beautiful and i cant believe how well you and the family are handling all of this. I would be a wreck. I just want to say you seriously look good with the short hair. Im not just saying that either. I love you guys and offer up prayers of petitions for you and Ken each week at Church. May God grant you and your family peace and gratitude in your everyday blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nancy,
    You and Ken continue to be an inspiration to so many! You are truly beautiful inside and out! Enjoy your adventures with your cute camper!
    Love,
    Kay Rauchle

    ReplyDelete