Sunday, January 24, 2021

Nonsense

Now half way through the first phase of treatment, I had my status review with Dr. Santos. He was pleased with how well I am tolerating the radiation and chemotherapy, and encouraged me to continue working on the PT and OT therapy plans to help regain left side proprioception, assuring me that my brain will continue to rebuild neural pathways for about the next 9 months, or one year post-surgery.

On February 8, my current treatments will conclude. Then I will have one month “vacation” to recuperate in preparation for the next round of treatment. On March 9, I will begin 28 day cycles of chemotherapy, consisting of 5 days oral chemo followed by 23 days off, for the remainder of the first year post-op. 

Another thing we learned is that soon, I may also be wearing the Optune “hat”, a treatment for glioblastoma that creates low-intensity, alternating electric fields which help slow GBM cancer cell division and tumor growth. This will involve shaving my head so the four transducer stickers can adhere directly to my scalp. The transducers are wired to an electric field generator, which is wired to a battery pack, which I will carry with me in a pack for 22 hours every day. I imagine the wires might be difficult to manage, but I hope to find a nice hat to cover some of this “nonsense”.

Recent Photos


Jan 23, 2021 - Malorie, Matt, Nancy & Ken

Jan 24, 2021 - A snowy morning walk along the beach

No comments:

Post a Comment