Tuesday, August 10, 2021

Peace Like A River

David, of the Old Testament, would likely say one purpose of music is to bring the body, the soul, and the spirit together in unified communion with God, in praise and to celebrate His Holiness and His love for us. 

With music, we are able express our deepest thoughts and emotions, and as the Holy Spirit leads, reveal the character of God to those who He will. Such compositions are far greater than the sum of their parts. Some examples of this effect are found in some of the old hymns. Expressing astoundingly succinct doctrinal truths, songs such as It Is Well With My Soul truly speak volumes to me in times like this.

When peace like a river, attendeth my way
When sorrows like sea billows roll
Whatever my lot, thou hast taught me to say
It is well, it is well, with my soul
It is well
With my soul
It is well, it is well with my soul
Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come
Let this blest assurance control
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate
And hath shed His own blood for my soul
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul
My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!
My sin, not in part but the whole
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, o my soul!
It is well (it is well)
With my soul (with my soul)
It is well, it is well with my soul

Present Moment Awareness

Moving forward in life without Nancy - my wife, companion, best friend, lover, mother of my children, confidant, the one with whom God paired me to hold hands with through life - I find myself in an almost constant dialogue with God. 

As I pour out my heart to Him, He speaks to me through His Word, through friends, through His creation, and through music. So many scriptures, so many songs, so many words of wisdom from men and women of God, and the peace and confidence of the ever-present, indwelling Holy Spirit guiding me to keep my eyes on my Lord, the Son of God, Christ Jesus. He knows my every need, and He knows best how to care for me. 

Matthew 6:25-34 tells us to seek Him first, and He will provide for all our needs. That's a fact. Taste and see, He is good! Oh, the wonderful Cross!

Wildflowers Nancy and I planted by the mailbox for all to enjoy. Beautiful!

Biking the Interurban Trail from Cedar Grove to Port Washington for lunch with Sarah and Tim.


I grilled two bacon wrapped pork cuts and some green beans.
These were pretty good, but I'll have to find Nancy's recipe for grilled green beans. Her's are the best!

I made some of Betty C's peanut butter cookies, but they're not even close to Nancy's "famous" recipe!

Camping without Nancy at Hartman Creek State Park brought many tears, but my life goes on. Praise the Lord!

I'm really good at making coffee and toasting cinnamon raisin English muffins! Praise the Lord!

This guy does not appear to be anxious about anything. Lesson learned. Praise the Lord!

1 comment:

  1. When I look at the picture of the man on the bicycle with his children, I don't recognize him from when we worked together. There is Jesus's light of peace in your eyes, Ken, that wasn't present before; there is a depth to your writing about life without Nancy; a truth, deep truth, to the Lord's presence in your life. Through the bad and good days, I read about God holding you as you reach out to others. You teach me of the sustaining power of God. I am in awe of our God! Nancy B

    ReplyDelete